Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Getting Ready to Head Out

Dang, I forgot how much I hate moving (and all the dust that gets stirred up when you pull out things you can't bear to throw out, just so you can pack them away safely to repeat the process sometime in the future, if only so you can look at them once or twice a year for memory's sake)...
The crazy things people attach sentimental value to, or lug around with them to "sort through when I have time." There's never time!!!

I find myself looking forward to the long flight and the 12 hour shifts I'll be working in the sandbox, just knowing I'll get some "down time" for a change with no major errands to run when I'm "off the clock" other than dropping off laundry and picking it up.

We've got most of the apartment packed, but still a ways to go. I've hired some help to load the truck on Sunday in hopes of speeding our departure and hitting the road at a decent hour. If they're late/don't get done at a decent hour, well, at least we won't be as exhausted before heading out for the long drive (we hope)...

I still have some paperwork to do, but that shouldn't be too difficult once I wrap my brain around the concept of doing something other than putting my stuff in boxes to await my return. It sucks knowing that I'll be carrying everything I'm taking with me on my back in just a couple short weeks, but on the bright side, I've got it a million times better than my great grandfather- aside from my better, modern, gear (sans Enfield rifle) and an enemy who can't aim worth a crap, I'll hopefully have a laptop loaded with pictures of family, pets, music, "literature," and the ability to reach home near real-time. So, while things are no doubt going to be difficult, they could be a lot worse... they are in fact not that bad when you put it in perspective!

There's a fine line between trying to pack everything you might need, and being paranoid to the point of weighing yourself down with all sorts of crap- so far, if it looks useful, it's gone in a box marked "Iraq" for me to sort out later. Between the list of mandatory things to take, some people's helpful suggestions, and my own gear, I've "filled" the box. Compression sacks/vacuum bags are going to come in handy making more room (and cutting bounce and rattle), especially with all the mandatory winter gear (but no help with eliminating weight)- so once I get a chance, I'll go through everything one more time and eliminate every excess ounce I can (note to self: ditch big full shaving cream can for travel-sized). At some point you've got to say enough is enough when you have to lug 2 duffels, a loaded"go-bag" (backpack), and a laptop who knows how far. Sure, you can "suck it up and drive on" (been there, done that) but there's no point wearing yourself out .

I've got a couple posts "in draft" to publish, but other than that I'm just doing everything I can to make sure I tie up all the loose ends and accomplish everything I need to so my wife can have as easy a time as possible with me on the other side of the globe for at least a year...

I wish I had more time to get things done and hang out with the friends I've made, and spend quality time with family- but they said they need me ASAP, so I'll just be thankful for the time I've got!

3 comments:

Brooke said...

We'll definitely be missing you, and wish you the very best while you're serving!

pela68 said...

Be careful!
And try to keep contact whenever possible...

Break a leg.

WomanHonorThyself said...

Miss u already buddy..write and stay in touch and please stay safe above all..God bless u and yours!!..big hugs and blessings!!!